A new coffee shop and restaurant is now open in the Gateshead Civic Centre on the Ground Floor.
The name "Bewicks" was chosen to celebrate the life of Thomas Bewick, one-time Gateshead resident.
There's new hot and cold menus plus daily specials, a deli counter and a coffee shop offering sandwiches, patisseries and speciality coffees.
The opening Hours are Breakfast 7.30am – 9.30am; Coffee Shop 9.30am – 4.00pm; Lunch 11.30am – 2.00pm.
More details at their website
You can also read there a short history of Bewick in Gateshead.
"In 1812,Thomas Bewick and his family moved to a newly built
house with a garden in Back Lane, Gateshead. The house was
advertised as having a parlour, drawing room, four lodging
rooms, servant’s room, large garret, cellar with a pump of
excellent spring water, large yard with detached buildings, and
a garden well stocked with fruit trees. Bewick lived there for the
rest of his life. Towards the end of the 1820s it was renamed 8
West Street and in the 1850s renumbered 19 West Street. When
J J Audubon the famous American wildlife artist visited him in
April 1827,Bewick had a workshop in the house, having left the
firm’s shop in Newcastle to his son Robert.
Bewick’s house had uninterrupted views to the west,over open
ground to the river in the distance. In the early 1830s the
Mechanics’ Institute was built across the road and Gateshead
Dispensary next door. Before long, housing surrounded West
Street. It now forms part of Gateshead’s Town Centre. A stone
plaque marks the site of the house and a brass plaque
commemorates the 100th anniversary of his death in 1928."