Thursday, 6 August 2015

Walk to Cherryburn.

I regularly pursued my walks & while thus exercising, my mind was commonly engaged in considering upon plans about how I should conduct myself in life & forming resolutions on such as I approved of & of strictly acting upon them…..

…………………

I thought nothing of leaving Newcastle (occasionally) after I had done work (7 o clock) in a winters night & setg off to walk to Cherryburn - …. - In my solitary walks ( as before noticed) the first resolution I recollect of having made, was that of living within my income & another, of similar import, was that of never getting anything upon trust…
Thomas Bewick, Memoir p 50 – 1


SATURDAY 8 AUGUST 2015
A STIRRING WALK FROM NEWCASTLE TO CHERRYBURN
Peter Quinn will lead us on a walk leaving Cardinal Hume's statue, Bewick Street, Newcastle upon Tyne at 10.30am along the banks on the River Tyne to Cherryburn, Mickley. This is an experiment in retracing Bewick's regular walk to his parents' house. We aim to complete the walk in the shortest time possible. Stout boots required.
Follow the progress of the walkers with Twitter updates en route @BewickSociety.



No comments: